Followers

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Hustle While You Wait

Okay. Hustling has always had negative connotations. Hustlers are usually portrayed in a bad light. In movies, these are the guys who operate in the fringe, in dark alleys, in dodgy bars, third-world countries. They wait for the next gullible soul to walk through the door or take a wrong turn and then they pounce! Con men and scam artists fall into this unsavory category. Larry Flynt even named his magazine after the term 'Hustler'.

Then why would I suggest something like hustling while waiting? In my universe, hustling takes a less sinister tone.

I am property developer in training. I am in the process of finalizing a few properties that we will begin working on in Q1 of 2011. While waiting for this to happen, waiting while there are procedures in process that are beyond my control; things like transferring a title to the company name, waiting for a scheduled appraisal from PNB, things of this nature.

While waiting, I hustle. I still have other things that I work on. Here are few of my hustling things...

I represent a private label wine, Miracle Hill. Both a chardonnay and shiraz. This is from Australia. Surpise, surprise! I'm also the exclusive marketing agent for the Admiral Group. Will be marketing 50,000-75,000 MT of space in several vessels for shipping between The Philippines and the world. Castlepines Corporation, an Australian investment group who are looking to invest in big ticket infrastructure projects in The Philippines have appointed me as Country Representative. Surprise again! A number of projects in the pipeline. I've also got insurance and telco projects on-going. ESPI is handled predominantly by wife, Queenie; she handles our BPO business.

This is my 'hustle'. Or should I say my 'hustles'. As I wait for what I really want to do materialize; I've got other things cooking!

Many will say that I need to focus - my answer to that is I am focused. I am focused on establishing multiple streams of income for my family while engaging in businesses that will help uplift the economy of the Philippines.

Others will say that they don't have the time to do these things. My answer to that is Thomas Edison had 24 hours, Mahatma Gandhi had 24 hours, Bill Gates has 24 hours, Sir Richard Branson has 24 hours, Manny Pangilinan has 24 hours. We all do so the whole 'lack of time' excuse is a lame excuse!

Each 'hustle' that I have has a corresponding peso value and return on energy (ROE). I employ time management techniques to allow me to attend to them effectively and efficiently.

I will have my first four-storey building this year. But then if any of my 'hustles' materialize; I will have them too! Which leads me to the next lesson - Multiple Streams of Income.

No comments: